Problems with name resolution on SLES10 in a .local domain

I noticed some strange behaviour on some SLES10-SP3 servers I was setting up in a .local domain. I could do a nslookup on the FQDN (<somehostname.local>), no problems there – but when trying to do a

ping <somehost>.local

it failed. I did a bit of searching on the internet and it turns out that SuSE (and as far as I could gather – other Linuxes as well) are haveing difficulties dealing with .local domains. The solution is to add the following to the end of /etc/host.conf

mdns off

And then do a reboot. Voila!

One Comment

  1. Roland says:

    instead of reboot , restarting nscd should be enough….

Leave a Reply